The unique qualities of lavender have been used since ancient times to rejuvenate the body and relax the mind.
Read 12 of the most fascinating facts about this enchanting plant ✨
1. Lavender appears in recorded history over 2500 years ago in ancient Egypt where people used it to perfume their skin and incorporate it into the embalming process.
2. During the bubonic plague in Medieval Europe, people tied lavender bouquets to their wrists to prevent infections and ward off bacteria.
3. Queen Victoria regularly consumed lavender tea to help relieve her headches and stomach pains.
4. You would need 330 lbs of lavender flowers to extract 2 lbs of lavender essential oil!
5. The largest producer of lavender in the world is Bulgaria! France places second in this category.
6. Lavender is the favorite plant of bumble bees - their long tongues allow them to extract the nectar easily from the tubular-shaped flowers.
7. There are over 45 different species of lavender with over 450 varities.
Made By Earth's lavender oil is extracted from Lavandula Angustifolia - the highest quality lavender known for skincare, beauty rituals and overall health.
8. Lavender doesn't come only in purple. There is also white, pink and even yellow lavender!
9. Studies show that lavender oil promotes collagen synthesis that accelerates the skin's healing process.
10. The English word lavender originates from the Latin word lavare (to wash).
11. Lavender is extremely rich in antioxidants that help protect against free radicals.
12. Lavender is an extremely universal plant. Some of its many uses include promoting radiant and healthy skin, soothing aching muscles and joints, reducing anxiety and stress, and inducing sleep.* It is even used in baking!
Do YOU know any fun facts about lavender that you'd like to share?
Comment below and let us know!
*The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.